Tell Me How You Really Feel
November 1, 2019
There are six things the Lord hates—no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family. Proverbs 6:16-19
If we were to ask God how He really feels about pride, we would get a quick answer. It’s all through the Bible. Pride is the first sin God mentions in Proverbs that He hates. It’s even listed before lying and murder! Why? Because pride, lack of humility, leads to every other sin. It is the mother hen of them all.
Pride credits us for our successes and blames others for our failures. How do you know if you are too full of pride and severely lacking humility? Let’s run a quick check. Answering “yes” to even one of these questions indicates a problem:
- Do you take everything personally?
- Do you always think your opinions are the most balanced and reasonable in the room?
- Do you think your desires are the most important?
- Do you think the other person usually is the one who needs to apologize or change?
- Do you tend to be negative and critical rather than positive and uplifting?
If you have a problem figuring it out, just say yes. 😊
- Honestly evaluate yourself in each area. Pray, “Search me, O God, and know my heart.”
- Ask God for clarity, and when He speaks, listen.
- Identify the changes you will make starting today.