How Do You “Cast”?
November 7, 2019
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. John 16:33
Anxiety is so often misunderstood, especially by people who have never experienced it. A broken bone, diabetes, a heart attack people can understand. Even broken hearts get sympathy. But anxiety can get brushed off as being in our heads or a spiritual difficulty. We are told to pray harder or believe harder.
But the same way as in other situations, healing is not instant. God doesn’t resolve everything for us instantly. He works with us to made gradual change and to trust Him. This is actual, profound change because it not only relieves our anxiety, but it changes the entire fabric of our relationship with God.
Here are a few things I have found helpful:
- Talk aloud about your anxiety to someone else or to God. It helps me process and be relational and hopeful.
- Listen to great music and sing along.It’s a spirit-lifter and mood-enhancer. God loves your joyful noise—you don’t have to be good. 😊
- Distract yourself from you by serving. Find someone who needs something you can do and do it for them. It changes your focus at least for a while and gives you satisfaction.
- Turn off the noise. Sometimes you need to isolate temporarily. Get away from people for a while. Get off social media. Quit feeding yourself noise and too much info.
- Pray for someone else. If I focus on someone else’s needs, I slowly begin to forget about myself.
- Memorize Scripture that speaks to you. God’s Word is a living, breathing gift to us. You will find the Bible speaks to real life.
A Prayer to Calm Your Anxious Thoughts:
Lord, You created me. You love me. You know every part of me. You know where I am right now. Please meet me here. You knew I would be here. You know what I need to know and learn in my anxiety. I don’t want to waste a minute of it. Speak to me. Heal me. Change the situation or use it. I will not waste my energy telling You what to do and how to do it. You can do what is best because You KNOW what is best. Tell me what You want from me, and I will do my best to do it. Thank You for knowing and understanding and loving me. Amen.