Spreading the Value Around
May 17, 2023
Take delight in honoring each other. Romans 12:10 NLT
Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10 ESV
One of the most wonderful things about humbly and confidently knowing your value (that’s not a contradiction—when you are truly humble, you know your true value, and when you know your true value, you are confident) is the freedom and joy it gives you to not compare or criticize others. Instead, you get to show value to and honor them. Paul tells the Romans to delight in showing value, and, in fact, to make it into a bit of a contest. “Outdo one another in showing honor.” Reminds me of my father. He and Mom had an incredible marriage, and he always shared their secret was that they made a daily effort to out-serve each other. Now that’s honoring!
Honor means to demonstrate high respect or great esteem for someone. By honoring another you are saying you see great value in them. 1 Peter 2:17 says we don’t get to choose who we honor and leave others out who we don’t like so much. We are to honor, respect, and value everyone.
How can you show others honor? Here are a few ideas that could suit almost anyone:
- Be interested in them. Find out their passions, sincerely listen when they speak. When you know they have something going on, check in on them regularly.
- When they talk to you, give positive feedback. Show appreciation and encouragement whenever you can.
- Invest in them. Make willing sacrifices to help them.
- Spend time with them. Don’t make them pursue you. Proactively plan for it.
- Acknowledge them publicly. Introduce them to others and make sure people hear and see that they are important to you.
- Remember, you won’t have them forever. Whatever they should feel, hear, know from you, DO IT NOW. Life is short. Windows of opportunity don’t stay open forever. That co-worker, student, or neighbor may be in a new situation tomorrow. Today is the day to show them that they are highly valued. You are giving them a priceless gift they will take everywhere they go.
Your own value multiplies when you show value to others. It’s the way God who values us most designed life to work.
- God, help me see the value in the people around me and be an affirming, valuing, honoring presence in their lives.